Do you remember where you where when you first saw these shoes?
I remember where I was when the Air Jordan XI basketball shoes first came out. I was in Eighth grade and my friends were all purchasing these particular shoes for the upcoming basketball season.
- I remember the way they looked–the patent leather trim, the translucent soles, the white mesh body.
- I remember all my friends walking around school wearing them and showing off.
- I remember Michael Jordan wearing them upon his return to basketball after the ill-advised two-year hiatus.
- I remember my mother telling me, “I am not going to spend $120 on a pair of ‘tennis shoes’ when your feet are still growing. Furthermore, it is impractical for a human to own shoes that cost $120.”
- I remember my basketball shoes — a pair of Payless specials. The brand was called “Mikey” and not Nike. They had a lightning bolt instead of the swoosh.
While I would have done a lot of things to own a pair of Air Jordan XI in size 10.5, I never would have considered doing something rash — like, say, beating up a women over a pair of Jordans.
However, WAFF out of Charlotte is reporting that two women traded blows over a pair of Michael Jordan’s shoes during the recent holiday shopping weekend. Derrick Rose, not to be confused with the reigning NBA MVP, reported on the brawl:
Outside the Foot Locker on the second floor, witnesses said some shoppers started jumping the line, then a crowd of people at the back of the line forced their way to the front, causing several people to get angry and become unruly.
“People were falling, I had to jump over a girl, it was crazy,” Dominique Brewer said.
Two women were even spotted throwing punches. The incident was caught on camera by WBTV Photojournalist Corey Schmidt. Neither woman was arrested.
This story reminds me of two truths about the current state of American culture: (1) We should skip the stores and get our shopping done on-line. And, (2) We still love stuff more than we love each other.