I just came across this video of Douglas Wilson and it blows my mind.
Not because he is winning/losing a debate about morality and American culture. Not because he is responding to criticism from a monograph on the history of colonial slavery. Not because has said something insightful about Reformed theology.
I just watched a video of Douglas Wilson — front man for an Americana Southern rock band.
What follows is a retroactive diary of my thoughts as they exploded within my brain in a more-or-less sequential order of experiencing this Doug Wilson music video for the first time. Enjoy:
- Is Doug Wilson playing acoustic guitar? Did you know that Doug Wilson plays guitar? Is there anything else that Doug Wilson does that is not public knowledge? Can he play basketball (and what is his game like)? Does he collect figurines? Does he dress up as a Santa Claus in some mall in Idaho? I am not sure if I even know Doug Wilson anymore.
- His voice works for this sound. Wow. It really works. And the song has a good rhythm to it. This could be a good song.
- Who are the dudes in his band? Are they elders in church? Is it a requirement for elders in his church to play musical instruments? If so, what is the evaluation matrix grade for a candidate with decent theology but killer guitar chops? Does that guy get on the board?
- Yeah, this song has real potential.
- What brand of sunglasses are they wearing? Oakley? Ray-Ban? Foakley?
- Will this song be played in a worship service at Doug’s church? Is this the style of worship music that he employs? If so, would I want to go to this kind of church? I am not kidding — I may want to move to Idaho.
- Who are those women who are shopping for/breaking pots? Is that Doug’s wife? Is that Doug’s mother? Is there tension between Doug’s wife and his mother? What does Doug recommend to women who have MIL issues? Does it include breaking pots?
- Did they get that artist to fashion pots just so Doug could break them? That’s kind of a waste…but also kinda boss. It seems like something Doug Wilson would do. And I am not even sure what that last sentence means.
- This scene is reminiscent of Office Space. Has Doug Wilson seen Office Space? Where does it rank in his Top 10 films?
- Wow. I am hugely impressed that Doug Wilson can be a rocker. He’s a Romans Road Rocker. Also, I am legitimately concerned to not remind God that I am a jar of clay. Because Doug has demonstrated what happens to ungrateful jars.